Subscribe Now Subscribe Today
Science Alert Home Journals at Science Alert For Authors For Subscribers Contact Us
   
Research Journal of Parasitology
  Year: 2009 | Volume: 4 | Issue: 4 | Page No.: 105-114
DOI: 10.3923/jp.2009.105.114
Prevalence and Genotyping of Zoonotic Giardia from Fayoum Governorate, Egypt
M.A. Sabry, E.S. Taher and E.M.H. Meabed

Abstract:
The aim of the present study was to investigate the possible public health significance of calves’ giardiasis in the village. Faecal examination of children and their contact calves revealed infection by Giardia cysts up to 25 and 30.8%, respectively. Protein fraction at molecular weight of 33 kDa as a giardins fraction was found to be closely related to zoonotic strain of calves’ Giardia using western blot analysis. Amplification and sequencing of a 292 bp fragment of 16S-rRNA ribosomal unit from 25 calves Giardia isolates using nested PCR, revealed that 20% of these isolates were belonging to the zoonotic Giardia Assemblage A, while the rest of the isolates (80%) were in Assemblage of livestock genotype (E). This level of calve zoonotic Giardia genotype demonstrates the possible role of calves as a reservoir for human infection in this village.
 [Fulltext PDF]   [Fulltext HTML]   [XML: Abstract + References]   [References]   [View Citation]  [Report Citation]
 RELATED ARTICLES:
  •    Rapid Detection of Bacterial Pathogens in Clinical Body Fluids by Nested PCR
How to cite this article:

M.A. Sabry, E.S. Taher and E.M.H. Meabed, 2009. Prevalence and Genotyping of Zoonotic Giardia from Fayoum Governorate, Egypt. Research Journal of Parasitology, 4: 105-114.

DOI: 10.3923/jp.2009.105.114

URL: http://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=jp.2009.105.114

 
COMMENT ON THIS PAPER
.
 
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

                 home       |       journals        |       for authors       |       for subscribers       |       asci
          © Science Alert. All Rights Reserved